MRI Scan: Preparation, Benefits, Centers & MRI Scan Cost
Magnetic Resonance Imaging or MRI scan use magnetic waves to image the various focal areas of the body.
An MRI Scan – an acronym for a Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan – is a Test process where powerful and controlled magnetic fields, radio waves and computer technology combine to produce highly detailed pictures of the inside of the human body. Since an MRI Scan is usually done on the brain, the procedure or Test is sometimes also simply called a Brain MRI or Cranial MRI. An MRI Scan differs from a CT Scan or X-Ray in that it doesn’t involve the ionizing radiation of X-rays, which is known to sometimes leave behind harmful effects over the long term. The biggest advantage that an MRI Scan has (over, say, the CT Scan or Tomography Scan) is that it produces 3D images instead of 2D images through 3D reconstruction is available now for CT scan also. The extra ‘vision’ and ‘understanding’ this additional dimension of depth offers is invaluable for medical purposes – be it diagnosis or treatment. This makes an MRI Scan highly effective (and unmatched) when it comes to analyzing small structures of the brain, such as, for example, brain stem or the pituitary gland. An MRI Scan usually doesn’t have any risks associated with it.
- Radiation Free Imaging
- Multi-Sequence Details: It stands among the most comprehensive & advanced imaging method, which incorporates can several complicated imaging sequences to best adapt to suit your complaints.
- Soft Tissue Demarcation: MRI offers much better soft tissue demarcation than CT Scan and X-Rays
- No Side-Effects: No significant side-effects of magnetic imaging (MRI scan).
MRI Scan Cost
MRI Scan cost depend on various factors such as the consumables, number of films, time involved. Please search below to find the MRI Scan cost and other details for your MRI tests. Please note: If your doctor's prescription specifically mentions "CEMRI" or "Contrast", it implies that your require Contrast Enhanced MRI Scan / MRI Scan with Contrast. Such a scan may require additionally preparation and a Creatinine test, before MRI contrast is administered.
What is an MRI Scan with Contrast?
While an MRI Scan will generate clear images of ‘dense organs and structures’ (ie, those with a high density), substances with a low density can turn out hazy and hard to detect. To make the latter more clearly visible, the patient may be administered a special ‘dye’ - technically referred to as a ‘Contrast Material’ - via injection (done to make the liver, gall bladder, urinary tract or blood vessels stand out sharper in the Scan results), orally (to enhance images of the digestive tract) or via Enema (this refers to instances when greater clarity is required for the intestines, and the Contrast Material is inserted through the rectum). To help the kidneys remove the Contrast Material after the procedure is over, one may be advised to drink a lot of fluid.
3 Tesla MRI or 1.5 Tesla MRI or Open MRI (1.5T MRI vs 3T MRI vs Open MR)
Tesla is the unit of measurement for measuring magnetic strength. 3T MRI Machines and their price are the more expensive and provide for better clarity in imaging.
To understand in layman's terms, you may consider the comparison between a 3.0 Tesla MRI vs a 1.5 Tesla MRI to be that of a 10 Megapixel Camera Photo vs 5 Megapixel Camera Photo.
Most MRI Scan centres in Delhi/NCR use 1.5 Tesla MRI Machines. Several leading hospitals such as Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Medanta Medicity, and Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, use 3.0 Tesla MRI Machines for MRI scan in Delhi. Please search above MRI test cost or MRI scan rate in Delhi NCR, India.
The Open MRI Scanner is a boon for patients who feel claustrophobic (fear of closed spaces) in a conventional closed MRI System. However, due to its open nature, only limited scans such as Knee, Shoulder, Spine, Brain, Elbow and Wrist are possible.
Common Uses of MRI Scan?
MR imaging of the body is performed to evaluate the following :
- Organs of abdomen and chest—including the heart, liver, biliary tract, kidneys, spleen, pancreas, and adrenal glands.
- Pelvic organs ― the bladder and the reproductive organs such as the uterus and ovaries in females and the prostate gland in males.
- Blood vessels and lymph nodes.
- Tumors of the chest, abdomen or pelvis
- Heart problems
- Liver disease, such as cirrhosis, and abnormalities of the bile ducts and pancreas
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Malformations of the blood vessels and inflammation of the vessels
- A fetus in the womb of a pregnant woman
Doctors use an MRI scan examination to help diagnose or monitor conditions such as:
MRI Scan Procedure
As soon as the patient enters the MRI scanning room, the technician or doctor will ask you to lie on the table. An MRI scanner is a short cylinder open from both sides. You will enter the MRI scanner either from the head or from feet, depending on the part that is being scanned. A computer is used to operate the MRI scanner. The computer is placed in a different room to keep it away from the magnetic field generated by the MRI machine. The radiologist will communicate with you via an intercom to guide you and to make sure you are comfortable. Sometimes, a contrast material is used intravenously during the MRI exam majorly gadolinium or iodine contrast (In MRI with Contrast). More images will be captured during or following the injection. When the MRI scan is complete, you may be asked to wait while the radiologist checks the images in case more are needed. The technologist will remove your IV (Intravenous) line after the exam is over. The entire MRI procedure may take 30-60 minutes.
MRI Scan Preparations
Very little preparation is required prior to an MRI scan. You will be asked to wear a gown. As magnets are used in the MRI scanner, no metal objects must be present in the scanners. The doctor will ask the patient to remove all metal jewelry and all types of accessories that can interfere with the MRI scan procedure. Individuals cannot go for an MRI scan if they have any metal objects inside their body, such as bullets, shrapnel, cochlear implants, pacemakers, etc. Some MRI scan uses an injection of contrast liquid (gadolinium) to improve visibility of some specific tissue that may be relevant to the scan. You must inform the technologists if you are claustrophobic. In such cases, the doctor recommends mild sedative prior to the MRI scan to make the procedure more comfortable. Women should always tell their doctor and technologist if they are pregnant or planning to get pregnant. There might be a risk of harm for the fetus during an MRI scan.
Time Taken For MRI Scan Reports
After the completion of the MRI scan examination, the computer generates visual pictures of the areas that were scanned. These pictures can be transferred to a hard copy (film). The radiologist interprets the MRI images in the form of a report. A magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan procedure lasts 15 to 90 minutes depending on the body part being scanned and the number of images being taken. MRI Reports will be available within 24-48 hours of the procedure in the maximum cases.
Benefits of MRI Scan
- A noninvasive and painless imaging technique that does not involve exposure to radiation.
- MRI images of the soft-tissue structures of the body, such as the heart, liver, and many other organs are likely to identify more accurately to characterize diseases than other imaging methods.
- A valuable tool in diagnosing a broad range of conditions, including cancer, heart disease, muscular and bone abnormalities, and many more.
- MRI scan allows healthcare providers or physicians to assess the biliary system noninvasively and without contrast injection.
- MRI Scan provides a noninvasive alternative to x-ray, angiography, and CT for diagnosing problems of the heart and blood vessels and various other body parts.
- MRI Scan can detect deformities that might be unclear by bone with other imaging methods.
MRI Appointments, Duration & Waiting
MRI Scans at House of Diagnostics are offered on a first come-first serve basis. Often, as the factors listed below may change from one study to the next, getting a MRI scan often involves a waiting time, as the exact length of your procedure and that of the patients before you, often also depends on the patient's conditions and cooperation.
If your question is how long should an MRI take, Please note that several factors can together determine the time required for MRI Scan.
- Procedure: Depending on procedure, MRI Scan time may vary - a routine MRI Brain should typically be completed in less than 15 minutes, whereas a MRI Multiparametric Prostate with Contrast may require over 60 minutes of MRI planning and sequences.
- Patient Movement: If a patient is unable to lie straight and moves during the MRI procedure and moves during the procedure, it may warrant for restart in partial sequences which could cause the time for the MRI to be extended from, say 15 minutes to even 40 minutes.
- Patient-Specific Detailing: Frequently if findings in the study require additional detailing, the technician in charge may observe and conduct a few additional minutes of detailing to better help the doctors detail the findings of the case.
Some MRI test require contrast. A contrast is a substance used to increase the fluids within the body in medical imaging. You will feel no ill effects from the injection.
Your doctor has chosen to use intravenous contrast for your examination after considering the risks and benefit to you. Contrast is a clear fluid usually injected into a vein in the arm immediately before the scan.
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is very safe and most people are able to have the procedure. However, in some circumstances, an MRI scan may not be recommended.
Please tell the MRI department if you have or think you have any metal in your body or if you are pregnant.
Although there are no known effects, it is advisable not to scan pregnant women.
However, in certain critical cases, it may be necessary to be scanned during pregnancy when a more invasive diagnostic test would otherwise have to be performed. Please consult your doctor before getting an MRI scan done.